With June begins one of my favourite weeks of the year. I mean, it’s not Christmas… it’s not the first week of summer or the first week of fall… but to me, it’s just as lovely. As you can probably tell by my Twitter musings, I’m a bit of a gamer. And being a gamer, E3 week is my Christmas – and it just started with a boom today.
Photo Credit: GameSpot
For the third consecutive year, Konami bucked the E3 week press conference junket and threw up a canned video showing off all of their new games. Here’s the five things we saw:
1) Social Games
- Konami has some social games! Their Bay Area studio has developed games that include MLB Dream Nine (looked like a Fantasy/Online Card Game – I was very confused by all of the flashing lights) and Puzzle Crashers in partnership with Zynga.
- They’ve also got a digital publishing arm that handles everything so developers can handle the developing exclusively. The first partnership is with Kung Fu Factory. Their first game is Domo Jump. *yawn*
- They also had something about MLB Live Challenge… I think I started doodling at this point…
2) Social Casino Games
- Their Orange County studio is working on Social Casino Games. That’s all I wrote.
3) PES 2014
- SOCCER. This year, their focus is on “fluidity” and the game looks silky smooth. The whole time they focused on very small details of soccer like minor contact (players hands with react to bumping, for example). The game’s engine is a modified version of the FOX Engine that’s powering MGS5.
- I wish I enjoyed soccer, because some of the things at play here look interesting.
4) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (the main attraction)
- This was the #1 highlight for me. I played through all four main Metal Gear Solid games a few summers ago and really enjoyed how crazy they were.
- Kojima spent the first part of his portion of the video talking about how this entry in the series will be dark and deal with themes like race and revenge. And then… the most shocking part of the event was revealed.
- KIEFER SUTHERLAND IS NOW SNAKE! As a huge fan of 24 and MGS, this news literally made me do a double take. Not only will he be the voice of Solid Snake, but he will also be the face of Snake. “…technology has changed so much,” said Sutherland about gaming technology as he made monkey faces and had awkward fake conversations with Kojima.
- Hideo Kojima (the series’ creator) said that Kiefer is the “perfect age” to play Solid Snake in 1984 (at 49 years old). Does that mean Jack Bauer… I mean Kiefer Sutherland is old now? That man is timeless.
- The other change is that this game is moving to an open world design. No further details were given.
- I think that this montage shows Kojima’s true desire – to direct movies (I mean did you play MGS4…).
Photo Credit: Gamezone
5) Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
- LoS2 picks up right after the events of the epilogue of the first game. I have never played a Castlevania game… So this whole segment was foreign to me. From what I have heard, I guess that this series lifts heavily from God of War in gameplay.
- The team at MercurySteam claim that this game will feature:
- No load times
- A bigger world
- A free camera
- Tighter and more strategic combat
- I wish them well… watching this game reminded me of Devil May Cry 4. Fun to watch… maybe not so fun to play. We’ll see!
- Oh… and MEGA64 VIDEO! Not as epic and funny and the other two Konami videos, but still a nice surprise!
Photo Credit: Destructoid
And those were the announcements. See you next week at E3! Well… I won’t… but I mean… maybe you’ll be there?
In case you missed it: